Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Status symbol?

I have been using American Express almost exclusively for about 5 years now. I do that so that I pay it off every month and to rack up rewards points. They have over the years sent me "special offers."

Now, mind you, I have the plain Jane, green rewards card. It does what I want it to, and I get the rewards.

I got a thing in the mail from Amex. Because I have been such a valued customer, they want to reward me. They want to give me a platinum card. Wooo hooo, right? WRONG.

After reading 4 or 5 pages of the benefits of having a platinum card, the very last page gives you the kicker. The yearly charge is $450.

Ummmm, no, thanks. I'll settle with my little green card that does everything I need it to. I prefer the status to be in my bank account, not on a card in my wallet and certainly not in American Express' wallet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sell me your points!