Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Turning the other cheek

I know that is what you are SUPPOSED to do, but I never had to deal with this with the boys. They never fought with people.

We have a little girl next door who is shorter than Suzi, but maybe a bit stockier. We have had a few issues of this girl bullying. She has punched Suzi before. Most of this type of thing, I don't get too much involved in anyway thinking they all get over it and move on.

But Saturday, Suzi came running in the door with her best bud from up the street (the bobsie twin) and they shut the door really fast. When I asked what was wrong, she said that Alicia was trying to throw a water balloon at Erica and chasing them and saying Suzi was playing with a baby. Suzi had been "protecting" Erica earlier by telling those kids to leave her alone.

So then the doorbell rang and rang and rang. I go out there and the little "angel" says, "can Suzi play"?

I said, well, I don't think you really want to play with her. I think you want to be mean. She said well, she is being mean. She won't play with us. This little girl had just came and twisted Suzi's hand back. This was after she told them to run because she was going to kill them. GOOD GRIEF!

Now, here is where I have a dilemma. I know Suzi wouldn't just walk around and just be mean to someone. They have played out front with all these kids before. Those kids have swam here. But I don't want this girl thinking it is okay to put her hands on Suzi or any other kids for that matter. I think she would back down if Suzi stood up to her. Now, mind you, Suzi has 2 big brothers. She can totally hold her own. I wouldn't be worried about anything like that. I just don't want to give her permission to be hurting anyone else either.

This situation just seems different. Should I say, hey, next time she is doing something like that, stand up for yourself, or should I just let it go. She has stood up to her. She really stood up for Erica too. I am envisioning high school :) I know they are only 10, but still...

3 comments:

Mailia's Mom said...

How about a 'mention' to Alicia's mom? The "I'm going to kill you" comment would be considered a threat to me, whether they're 10 or 18. I think I would at least let the parent know that I don't appreciate talk like that and that I'd prefer our girls not play with each other. If you think that talking to the parent(s) might be a little over the top, I would at least have a serious talk with the bully. Just MHO. :-)
Hugs,
S.

Mailia's Mom said...

PS..........Yes, 'turning the other cheek' is the way it should be. Unfortunately, most kids today are not raised the way we were. That concept is totally foreign to them.
Today's society is 'all about me'.
Really sad.
S.

The Cool Breezes said...

Hey girl, at the first of the year there was this little girl in Kaitlyns class who was slapping her Kaitlyn just told her to quit but it kept happening, i finally went to the principle amd told him but ask him not to say i had mentoned it. She stoped but about 2 weeks ago i talked to this kids mom because she was coming to Kaitlyn's party i mentioned it to her she said the girl was off her medicine at that time. If it keeps up yes i would say something to the girls mom. Suzi is so sweet trying to protect the other girl. It will all work out but talking to the parents might help. I doubt they even no it's happening and who knows she may be off her medicine too.