Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Oriental Market


I took Studmuffin to an oriental market in our travels the other day. He had never been in one. He got ALLLL excited seeing all that raw fish and octopus and calamari and you name it!

But the one thing that really caught his eye were these.

After my googling experience the other night about Balut, I was mortified to see those just sitting out for purchase as well. How in the world does that not spoil? I got food poisoning just LOOKING at them! They also had quail eggs. Some were sitting out and others were canned. I didn't google that. I don't even want to know!

We bought He-man some Shin Ramyun while we were there. That stuff sets your nasal passages on fire immediately!

The Pocky sticks were gone in no time flat when we got them home.

But we couldn't get He-man or Suzi to try the frog legs. Look how big those suckers are! They were excellent. Studmuffin cooked them up with some butter and some fresh garlic from the farmer's market. We do think these frogs might have been on steroids. They were huge.

When I was about 5 years old, my parents took me to a restaurant and I ordered frog legs. My mom about had a fit and said, she won't eat those!! My dad said, let her get them! (of course these are the same people who made me sit and smell overcooked broccoli until I would eat it, which I don't think I ever did)

Luckily, I loved the frog legs because it would have been a long sit if I hadn't eaten them :)

1 comment:

Ronni said...

When Brendan was about 3, we went to a Chinese restaurant, the owner of which had been my friend since about 1980. Brendan insisted on having his own menu, and when An came round to take our order, he piped up, "I'd like some Moo Goo Gai Pan, please."

Now, I knew he ordered that because it was the only thing on the menu he could read, but we practically had to pick An up off the floor.

He ate it, too.