Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I can do this!

The broker that is going to hire me when I get my license, she is letting me come to their training sessions now, even though I don't have my license yet. I don't know anybody there really yet. I have met the broker and one of her friends who works there.

I got there and of course had to walk into this place where I know nothing and know no one. No biggie, I went in. I went in, and everybody stopped and looked at me. I was looking for a familiar face and didn't see anybody. Someone asked if they can help me, and I told them I was there for training. Then, the friend pops around the corner and was very helpful. She introduced me to some people there, etc.

After the training part, the broker then said a few things to everybody. Then before I knew it, she was introducing me and says, tell them how I met you. Next thing I know, I am talking in front of about 15 people. Again, no biggie.

Training got over, I get in my car to leave, and it hit me. OMG she just put me on the spot in front of (to me) a ton of people. I talked about what she wanted me to talk about and everybody was looking at me. It was then that I got the rapid heart rate and flushed face. Anybody who knows me knows I DO NOT do public speaking or public ANYTHING! I played the piano in church one time and never played again. I was shaking so badly that I knew the whole congregation could see my music shaking on the piano.

I don't have a degree in college because I would not take a speech class. That's how bad it was/is.

But I came away from there feeling pretty darn proud of myself. Then I was thinking back to Suzi last night. I want to be like her when I grow up :)

1 comment:

Ronni said...

Fears faced can be overcome.

I had years of background in public speaking, entering contest after contest in my last three years of high school. Yet, the first time I got on stage to act in a play, the director had trouble getting me to come out from behind the couch. It was like a lectern--I felt very vulnerable without something to stand behind.

Now? Hell, I'm going to be on stage in spike-heeled platform patent boots and a bustier, carrying a whip.

It just takes grit, and you and I both have lots of that!