Friday, February 29, 2008

Losing the inhibition

Remember I had a hair story to tell?

Some of you have heard it, but others haven't. Plus, it's one of those things I never want to forget.

Remember too, all things happen for a reason.

I'll try to make the long story short. It starts back when I got a horrible perm and it burned my hair and bleached it to a wonderful shade of orange. I chopped most of it off, and it has been growing out. Every one of my family when they saw me said not one word. They just busted out laughing when they saw me. No, they really weren't being mean, it was just that funny. I had the nickname of Bozo the clown for a few days :)

Fast forward about 6 months. We had the sales conference, and I really wanted to have hair. I decided that many people wear wigs for one reason or another, why shouldn't I. I found a nice darker wig, close to my natural color, and it was long and had curls. I just loved it.

I asked around to find out, should I wear it all the time I was there or just for the big gala. My friends said, yes, it looks good. Wear it the whole time. So that's what I proceeded to do.

I got it all in place and away we went. We were all of 50 feet out of the driveway, and I noticed a neighbor's dog in the middle of the street. Always thinking that if it were me, I would hope someone would help me too, we stopped the car to get this dog back home.

Hubby went to the door to let the people know the dog was out. I called the dog. He was soooooo excited to see someone. Boy was he ready to play! He ran circles around me a few times, and when we realized nobody was home and that this dog wasn't going to let me get ahold of him, I decided to walk closer to the fence to put him in.

Come on, boy! I was walking and calling him. He would run up and run circles around me. The next thing I know, this dog charged at me (I swear he was laughing and smiling as he ran at me) and he jumped up and grabbed my hair!

Here I am in all glory, standing in the middle of the road with a net on my hair and my long curly locks laying on the ground.

Hubby said the race was on between me and the dog to get the wig back. I won of course because all I could think of was to get that thing back on my head!

I think it would have been easier to do had I not been laughing my A$$ off! I really don't know how we got the dog in the fence or what really happened after that. We were both laughing so hard. I still laugh when I think about it.

Straight from there, I went to get bobby pins :) I didn't lose my hair in the San Francisco wind, but I did lose the inhibition I felt about wearing the wig in the first place.

Many people did double takes. We had decided to joke if anybody said anything and say that I was hubby's "pretty woman" for the weekend! Nobody really said a lot except that they really liked it. Funny, at age 37, I am still learning the life lesson that it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, if I like something, that's all that matters!

No comments: