Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fate

Fate sort of helped us teach He-man a very valuable lesson.

He worked HARD all summer. Never was late to work, never missed work, never called in. He stayed late if they asked him, and went in if someone didn't show up.

He socked away all the money he made. It's a very good chunk.

Well, I didn't realize it, but he was saving to put a radio in his truck. There was no radio or speakers or anything. You probably know where I am going with this. 17 year old boy....truck...money....tunes.

Well, I think he had in mind he would pay whatever the cost to get this put in for him. He wanted it done a couple weeks ago, but we kind of put the brakes on him.

He and I went to lunch one day last week, and I just threw out a number of scenarios. The huge thing I was worried about was him paying a ton of money and the stuff getting stolen out of his car. It's an older car, so there are no alarms or anything like that. So I kind of asked him, what are you going to do if all your hard work goes out the window if this stuff gets stolen.

Well, to make a longer story shorter, he kind of grumbled, but DID listen.

As fate would have it, he went to a pool on Saturday to work for 3 hours. The pay was 25 bucks an hour. While he was there, someone he worked with just so happened to have the radio he wanted. He had just gotten a newer one, so had this one to get rid of. He paid A LOT less for it.

He went with his daddy yesterday and priced out some things he wanted and they feel like they got a very good deal on the rest of what he needed. The huge thing is, he saved a ton of money. He would have blown a lot more if he had just done it on his own.

At dinner last night, I asked him. I said are you excited about your radio. Of course, he is. Well, I said, how does it feel to still have a stash in the bank?

He didn't crack a smile, but those dimples sure went deep :)

So I was able to mention that moms and dads are good like that. We definitely want to help instead of hinder, and I think the picture is becoming much more clearer for him.

Now, we only have two more to pound that into (sigh).

No comments: